Table of Contents
- What is a Medical Escort?
- When to Use a Medical Escort?
- How to Request Medical Escort Services?
- What Services Are Provided?
- Benefits of a Medical Escort?
- How Much Does a Medical Escort Cost?
Becoming sick while away from home or abroad can put you in a difficult situation. You’re far from friends and family, your regular doctor could be miles away and you may be unsure about what your insurance will cover should you need medical attention.
In these situations, you may wish you could transport back to your hometown so you can get the treatment you need. The good news is that there’s a way to get back home safely, thanks to the services of a medical escort. Keep reading to learn more about this special service and see if it’s right for your unique needs.
What Is a Patient Escort or Medical Escort?
A medical escort, also known as a patient escort, can take several forms, but the idea behind them remains the same. The purpose of a medical escort is to bring someone who has fallen sick from their current location to a new destination. Whether the patient needs a medical escort for short distances or long distances, they will receive attentive medical care throughout the journey to ensure their safe arrival.
There are two types of medical escorts:
- Commercial medical escort: In this type of medical escort, the patient uses a commercial airliner to bring them to their destination. A team of medical escort professionals will be with the patient every step of the way. They will help the patient stay safe and comfortable throughout the flight to ensure a successful trip. The patient can sit in one of the airplane’s seats, or the airline may have accommodations that allow the patient to stay in a stretcher during the flight.
- Private medical transport: This type of medical escort may fall under the category of air ambulance services. In this situation, the patient charters an air ambulance to take them to their destination. An air ambulance is especially helpful during emergencies, but patients can use them for their non-emergency transportation needs. They may be more expensive than commercial medical escorts, but they provide direct personalized service you cannot get on a commercial flight.
When to Use Medical Escort
As we mentioned above, the best time to use a medical escort is during non-emergency situations. This can include the need for a medical escort after surgery to bring the stabilized patient back home. A post-op escort will ensure the patient has a safe trip to their final destination and receives all the help they need along the way. In some instances, a medical escort doctor can provide spur-of-the-moment treatment should an unexpected situation arise.
Hiring a medical escort is appropriate any time a patient needs to change their location while receiving constant medical supervision. You or a loved one may fall ill while away from home or overseas. A medical escort can bring you back home with more peace of mind, knowing you’re getting the treatment you need. A medical escort is wise for any individual who has specific medical needs and risks who needs to travel from point A to point B.
How to Request Medical Escort Service
Requesting medical escort service is easy when you partner with REVA as your comprehensive solution. Simply request a medical escort quote online by filling in the required information. You’ll need to know the following information for an accurate and speedy response:
- Your name
- Your phone number
- Your email
- The pick-up location
- The drop-off location
- The age of the patient
Then you’ll specify whether you need an air ambulance or a medical escort. From there, specify whether you have insurance and if a physician or doctor has ordered the transportation.
What Services Can Medical Escorts Provide During Transportation?
Medical escorts can provide many different services during transportation. The services provided correspond with the specific patient’s need and can change on a case-to-case basis. Here are some common services that medical escorts can provide:
- Administering of pain medication or other needed medications
- Assisting with the use of the lavatory during flight
- IV drip administration
- Acquisition of food and beverages for the patient
- Helping the patient stay comfortable
- Easing patient anxieties
- Help boarding and exiting the plane
- Catheter and incontinence help
- Overall health monitoring to ensure a stable condition
- Keeping the patient connected to oxygen and other essential equipment
Other services are available depending on your needs. Be sure to specify your or your loved one’s exact medical condition and needs when requesting a quote and scheduling your medical escort.
10 Benefits of Medical Escort
You’ll enjoy the following benefits when you hire a medical escort.
1. Flexible Availability
When you or your loved one is ready to get back home, delays can be frustrating. Unfortunately, many hospitals give little notice regarding a patient’s release date. With regular transportation providers, you could find yourself spending extra time at the hospital as you wait for the next available flight to take you where you need to go.
Medical escort companies like REVA can start the process of getting you a reliable transportation plan as soon as you’re ready. We have the flexibility to help you schedule your medical escort flight at the time that works for your unique situation. With a medical escort, you can get on your plane sooner, which means you’ll be back home sooner, too.
2. Fast Response Time
Medical escort companies like REVA know the importance of responding quickly to initial inquiries. You want to get to your destination as soon as possible. The last thing you want to deal with is a conventional transportation company being slow to respond to your initial contact.
When you reach out to a medical escort company, they should respond to you quickly to get you the transportation help you need. Save time and avoid callbacks by contacting a company like REVA to get a medical escort.
A medical escort will handle every aspect of your transportation process. REVA will help you with:
- Assembling a team of flight nurses.
- Acquiring tickets.
- Scheduling ground transportation on both sides of the flight.
- Making the experience the best it can be for the patient and their family.
Traveling while ill can be a stressful experience for everyone involved. But with medical escort companies like REVA, you get increased convenience so you can focus more on yourself and each other. Leave the details to your medical escort.
You need to be able to depend on your method of transportation. This is true in any travel situation, but it’s even more crucial when you require medical travel to take you back home after falling ill while away from home.
Conventional, non-emergency transportation providers often experience delays, lengthy wait times and even cancellations. But with medical escort companies like REVA, you get dependable service you can count on. REVA’s Communication Center coordinates the whole travel plan from start to finish so you can know what to expect every step of the way.
A common thread among many of the benefits of a medical escort is speed. And speed is indeed one of the major benefits of partnering with a medical escort provider like REVA.
Roadblocks to speed in your situation include any sort of delay to your ideal timeframe. When you’re in a position where you can fly back home, you want to get there as soon as you can. A medical escort provider will make it happen. With fast response times, quick coordination and high-speed aircraft, you’ll be able to get back home quickly and safely with the help of your medical escort team.
6. Care From Qualified Medical Professionals
When it comes to one’s healthcare, only the best will do. You want to know that you or your loved one is getting the best care possible. This fact is even truer when you add transportation to the equation. Transportation throws many variables into the mix, so you want to make sure you stay healthy and safe on your journey.
Medical escorts specialize in keeping patients safe throughout their entire trip. REVA only employs the most talented and qualified medical professionals in the industry. This ensures that every patient gets the best treatment from the moment transportation begins until they reach their intended destination.
7. Access to Essential Medical Supplies and Equipment
Along with qualified medical professionals, medical escorts provide all the essential medical equipment and supplies needed to ensure a successful journey. Every patient has different needs, especially after a surgery or other major medical event. Once the patient is safe to travel, they may need specialized equipment to keep them healthy and safe during the flight.
Medical escorts specialize in having all the necessary equipment and supplies for each patient’s flight. REVA works with hospitals and doctors to determine what the traveling patient needs before the flight begins. When it’s time for the flight, you can have confidence that all needed medical gear will be present.
8. International Options
One of the most critical times to use a medical escort is when someone falls ill while away from home. International healthcare can be unreliable, and it’s understandable for anyone to want treatment from their doctor back at home.
The good news is that medical escorts make international travel easy. Some transportation methods only provide services in a specific country or area. Medical escort companies like REVA have international availability. Wherever you need medical escort services, REVA can provide them.
9. Dignified Travel
When you travel with the help of a medical escort like REVA, you can have confidence that you’ll experience a dignified travel experience. The medical professionals assigned to you will ensure you’re comfortable during your journey. They can offer assistance when patients need to use the lavatory, and they can also offer privacy when you want some alone time. REVA gives you the dignified treatment you deserve during your medical escort trip.
10. Peace of Mind
The list of benefits of a medical escort would be incomplete without putting an emphasis on the peace of mind you’ll experience. A medical escort team will handle the whole process from beginning to end, meaning you get to focus more on your mental and physical wellbeing. Your medical escort will handle the rest.
How Much Does a Medical Escort Cost?
Many factors go into the cost of a medical escort. This means that each patient’s unique situation directly affects the price paid. Here are some factors to consider that will influence the medical escort cost:
- Advance notice: Sometimes, having more advance notice can secure you a lower cost for your medical escort. Advance notice gives your medical escort company time to schedule your flight using an aircraft closer to your location. This means that the aircraft will have to travel less to reach you, which uses less fuel and lowers your costs. Spur-of-the-moment medical escort requests will have to use the next available flight for your timeframe. If that flight is coming from far away, you may face a higher bill.
- Your destination: Where the medical escort is taking you will also influence the cost. It stands to reason that a longer journey will translate to a higher payment due to fuel costs, crew wages, etc. A nearer destination means less time in the air and less time paying for the services of your escort. But of course, other factors come into play that can make even shorter journeys more expensive than longer ones.
- Your medical needs: Your medical needs can have a heavy influence on the cost of your medical escort. Light medical monitoring may demand fewer medical staff, but a patient in more medically unpredictable circumstances may need more medical professionals to keep them safe and healthy. It would be wise to request a medical escort quote and let REVA know more about your unique situation to give you a better idea of pricing.
Here are some answers to other frequently asked questions about medical escorts:
- Q: What is included in a quote for a medical escort? A quote from REVA will cover every aspect of your transportation needs. Besides the medical escort fee itself, REVA includes airline tickets, any overnight accommodations and ground transportation.
- Q: Do you have medical escorts in my country or state? REVA has coverage worldwide, allowing them to help patients, no matter where they are or where they’re going.
- Q:Where will the medical escort team meet the patient? REVA provides service from your current bedside to the bedside at your final destination. Your medical escort team will be with you every step of the way.
- Q: Do I have to do any special planning? One of the best parts of choosing REVA as your medical escort provider is that they’ll take care of everything. REVA will keep the patient, family members and caregivers updated throughout every part of the journey.
Choose REVA as Your Medical Escort
If you need a medical escort to bring you back home, trust REVA for the best service available. Our medical team receives extensive training to ensure successful trips, meeting all your needs along the way. Our goal is to make this process easy for you. You can enjoy more peace of mind, and we’ll handle the rest.