Austria is an incredible country to visit. Whether you travel there for vacation or a business trip, you are sure to enjoy the country’s breathtaking scenery, delicious food, stunning architecture and friendly locals. However, one of the best things about Austria is its healthcare system.
Austrian hospitals are some of the best in the world, and they offer a wide range of services to travelers. If you need medical help in Austria, you can easily access health services to begin healing, get back on your feet and continue exploring this magnificent country. You can also access medical evacuation services if you need to reach the nearest hospital from a remote location or travel back to your home country for care.
Reasons to Visit International Hospitals in Austria
A hospital probably isn’t at the top of your “places to visit” list. However, it’s important to research and know which hospitals are near you in the case of a medical emergency. Emergencies can happen anywhere, so it’s best to be prepared.
Whether you are involved in a car wreck, fall off of a bike or experience a bad fall, it’s essential to seek medical attention if you become hurt in Austria. It may be tempting to wait until you get home to seek medical treatment so you can save money or continue exploring uninterrupted, but you don’t want your condition to worsen.
Even if an injury seems minor, you should seek care to prevent it from getting worse. You should visit a hospital if you have any broken bones, serious wounds or a head injury.
No one wants to get sick on vacation or during a business trip, but it can happen. You may catch a virus from sitting close to others on a plane or experience a bout of food poisoning from a meal. While you can probably treat a minor cold or headache with over-the-counter medications, other illnesses require medical treatment. You should visit a hospital if you experience severe discomfort or serious symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea or fever.
If you have a chronic condition and are prone to occasional or frequent flare-ups, it’s important to be prepared when you travel. Certain conditions such as asthma, diabetes and heart disease can cause serious and life-threatening flare-ups.
Make sure you take any medications such as insulin or rescue medications such as inhalers along with you on your trip. You should also create a list of Austrian hospitals near you in case you have a serious flare-up and need to seek medical attention.
Quality of Austria’s Medical Care
Austria’s healthcare system offers excellent care and affordable and accessible services. Austria’s government prioritizes healthcare to make sure the country provides the best services possible. The country is known around the world for top-notch doctors and hospitals, so you can rest assured of your ability to find quality care if you become ill or injured in Austria.
Travelers visiting Austria can easily access medical care. However, they may have to pay the full price for any services they need unless their health or travel insurance covers care in Austria. Additionally, you may have to wait longer for services and share a room with many other patients unless you have private insurance that covers faster services.
If you are looking for English-speaking hospitals in Austria, it’s best to stay within the major cities or find a translator who speaks German and English. The farther a hospital is from the cities, the less likely it is to have English-speaking staff.
Best International Hospitals in Austria
Austria is home to some of Europe’s top hospitals, and you can receive quality care while visiting the country. If you are wondering where to get medical help in Austria, consider the following hospitals:
- Döbling Private Clinic: The Döbling Private Clinic offers excellent care with state-of-the-art equipment and treatments.
- Vienna General Hospital: Vienna General Hospital is one of Europe’s most innovative clinics, and it offers cutting-edge care.
- Wiener Private Clinic: Wiener Private Clinic is a private hospital in Vienna known for its state-of-the-art medical equipment, evidence-based treatment methods and internationally-recognized doctors.
- Tirol Clinics: Tirol Clinics offers three high-quality state hospitals in Hall, Innsbruck and Hohzirl-Natters.
How to Prepare for Possible Medical Emergencies in Austria
Preparing for potential medical emergencies before traveling abroad allows you to explore with peace of mind. Before you book your flight, make sure you prepare by taking the following steps:
- Research hospitals: Research which hospitals are closest to your planned destinations in Austria. This way, you can reach a hospital quickly in the event of a sudden illness or injury.
- Check your health insurance coverage: Check your health insurance plan to make sure it covers medical services in Austria. This will help you avoid high costs if you need care.
- Sign up for medical evacuation coverage: You may need medical evacuation services if you injure yourself in a remote location or need to travel to your home country for medical care. You should add medical evacuation coverage to your insurance plan to avoid paying high costs for services.
- Know which numbers to call: In the event of an emergency in Austria, you can dial 144 for ambulance service, 141 for emergency medical service and 112 to reach the European emergency service.
How REVA’s Medical Evacuation Services Can Help
No one expects to get injured or fall ill while on vacation, but it can happen at any time and in any country. If you need medical care while traveling around Austria, REVA’s medical evacuation services can help you get to the nearest hospital quickly and safely.
We can also help if you need to travel back to your home country to see your primary physician or simply heal and recover in the comfort of your own home. No matter your situation, we’re here to help.
REVA’s air ambulance team consists of highly experienced medical professionals and aviation specialists. We prioritize safety, and our teams complete training weekly, quarterly and annually to ensure we provide the best care possible. REVA’s safe and efficient services will quickly transport you where you need to go while you receive necessary medical care.
Contact REVA for Medical Evacuation Services
Prepare for possible medical emergencies abroad by researching Austria’s best hospitals and adding medical evacuation coverage to your health insurance plan. Travel with peace of mind, and know that REVA will transport you where you need to go in the event of a medical emergency.
REVA’s experienced medical and flight crews will provide compassionate care while transporting you safely to the nearest hospital or a medical facility in your home country. Contact REVA or request a quote to learn more about how our European air ambulance services can help you.
This post was reviewed by REVA’s Medical Director, David A. Farcy.