Visiting International Hospitals in Spain
Spain is a popular destination for tourists and business travelers. It boasts some of the world’s best architecture and cuisine. From striking rural landscapes to gorgeous cities, Spain offers many ways to fill your days on your trip. However, as with any time you travel abroad, it is essential to know your options should something happen to put your health at risk during your trip.
The good news is Spain has international hospitals that provide medical services to travelers. As a visitor from the United States or another English-speaking area, you should learn about the English hospitals in Spain before making the trip so you can get the health care you need in a comfortable, understandable setting.
When Should You Visit a Spain Hospital?
Whether you are dealing with a medical issue in Spain or have yet to take your Spain trip, it’s good to know the scenarios that merit a visit to a health care facility. You’ll be at risk of many of the same health conditions in Spain you already face in your hometown. But you’ll be in an unfamiliar location, which also means being far from your home doctor and subject to some new risks, as well.
Read the following international health risks so you can better respond if you were to face one during your visit to Spain:
- Falls: When touring unfamiliar territory, it can be easy to fall and hurt yourself. Depending on your physical condition and the nature of the fall, these moments can cause serious injuries such as fractures that would warrant professional medical attention for proper healing.
- Automobile accidents: Anyone can experience an automobile accident, whether they’re driving in their hometown or on foreign roads. If you’re behind the wheel in an unfamiliar country, you could be at a higher risk of an accident due to the changes in driving laws and motorist behaviors. Additionally, it’s impossible to predict the drivers’ actions around you, including your taxi driver.
- Severe health issues: If you have a chronic medical condition, you may need to prepare for symptoms to arise while you are visiting Spain. You might have to see a doctor to receive medical attention or get essential medications for recurring symptoms. If your medical condition requires consistent medical treatment, you should research and prepare where and when you’ll receive treatment while abroad if you need it.
- Unexpected sickness: You could catch an infectious disease while abroad. Such an event would be completely unplanned but might require medical help from a Spain hospital depending on its severity. One common unexpected illness is food poisoning, which has symptoms ranging from slight to severe.
- Remote injuries: Your Spain visit could take you to beautiful rural areas many miles from the nearest hospital. Should an injury or illness occur there, you may need medical air transport to get you to the nearest hospital.
List of English-Speaking Hospitals in Spain
If you have fallen ill or sustained an injury while in Spain, you have several excellent options for places to receive medical attention. Many Spain hospitals serve international travelers and have staff fluent in world languages, including English. You can feel confident going to any of these places to get the help you need to make a full recovery and return home.
You are responsible for paying any medical bills you receive while getting treatment from health care facilities in Spain. Check with your insurance company before going overseas to see if you have coverage for expenses abroad. You may need to open a new policy to cover some or all of your medical bills in Spain should you have any.
Here’s a helpful list of some international hospitals in Spain:
- Ramón y Cajal University Hospital: This public facility is one of the hospitals in Madrid, Spain, that is a great option for international travelers. Its research department has also earned it a positive international reputation.
- Quirónsalud: Quirónsalud has several facilities throughout Spain. They’re one of the most popular hospitals in Madrid that speak English, making them a common destination for travelers from the United States and other English-speaking countries. Boasting a helpful staff and advanced technology, you can get the help you need if you must visit their facility.
- Vithas Granada: As one of the best hospitals in Granada, Spain, for travelers, Vithas Granada is an option you can feel confident about choosing for your health care needs in Spain. They have a 24/7 helpline, so you can make calls the moment you need help. They also offer translation services to ensure every patient can communicate adequately with staff members.
- English Doctor Barcelona: Founded by Dr. Steven Joseph, English Doctor Barcelona is a great place to start when looking for English-speaking Barcelona hospitals. Services include virtual appointments, general medicine and diagnostic tests. The English-speaking staff ensures travelers from the United States and around the world feel welcome.
REVA’s Services for Overseas Medical Air Travel
REVA’s services can help if you experience a health care emergency while in Spain. Our international air ambulance services can meet you where you are to take you to the nearest hospital or bring you back home. With a reach spanning beyond 70 countries, we can take you where you need to go and will handle all your medical travel needs along the way.
Our process is easy — call, confirm, complete. All you have to do is contact us to receive assistance, and we will take care of the rest. We coordinate all your medical transport needs, including necessary documentation, medical and flight crews and any needed ground transportation on either end of the flight. Our bedside-to-bedside services help you get home safely and on time.
Request a Quote From REVA Today
At REVA, we understand your desire to return home after experiencing an illness or injury while abroad. That’s why our goal is to give each of our clients safe, compassionate air ambulance services to help them through any situation. We are committed to your safety so that you can have more peace of mind even in those unexpected moments of your life.
If you’re ready to take the next step toward your medical flight to the nearest hospital or back home, we invite you to request a quote today to start the process. Or, you can contact us to speak with one of our representatives if you need more information. We are ready to help, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.