Cuba is a beautiful country rich in history and heritage, making it a popular tourist destination. The country has also gained popularity for its free health care system for citizens. However, its reputation with other countries is still a bit complicated. Cuba’s government imposes strict travel restrictions on tourism, and some countries have banned travel to Cuba totally. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) presently does not recommend United States citizens to travel to Cuba due to concerns about COVID-19.
If you do plan to visit Cuba, you should know what international and English-speaking hospitals are available if you need medical attention.
When Should You Visit a Cuban Hospital?
If you suffer an illness or injury in Cuba, you may be wondering if you should visit a hospital. It’s always best to take your health seriously, especially when you’re in a foreign country and your trip home is still a ways off. Here are some reasons why you may want to go to a hospital while in Cuba:
- Common injury or illness: While in Cuba, you’re at risk of many of the same causes of injury and illness as you would be at home. These include events like motor accidents and food poisoning. Depending on the situation’s severity, you may need to visit a Cuban hospital if you want a successful and speedy recovery.
- Unexpected sickness: You could catch an infectious disease at any time, including on your trip to Cuba. Being in a foreign area can put you at risk of catching certain sicknesses that are not present back home. If symptoms get severe, you may need to go to a hospital for treatment.
- Serious health conditions: If you have chronic or serious medical conditions, you need special treatment to stay healthy while you travel abroad. These conditions may require you to visit a hospital. You may also experience a symptom flare-up, which would cause you to need medical help to get the symptoms under control.
- Remote injuries: You could face a critical health situation in a rural area many miles from the nearest Cuban hospital. If this happens to you, you may need medical air transport to take you to a medical institution.
- Medical tourism: This term refers to people seeking medical treatment in countries outside of their home country. People participate in medical tourism for more affordable health care services or specialty doctors they cannot find at home.
How Good Is Health Care in Cuba?
If you’re planning a trip to Cuba, you may want to better understand the health care system there. Medical care for tourists in Cuba exists, and it can be quite good. Much of Cuba’s medical resources go to institutions that service visitors and high-ranking diplomats. These hospitals are often in Havana, Cuba or other major cities. This means tourists can get great health care during their visit to Cuba.
Yet, this funneling of resources often leads to poor Cuban hospital conditions at the average public hospital. Buildings can be in poor states, and some doctors have difficulty acquiring essential medicines and resources because of trade embargoes. The upside is all health care in Cuba is free to citizens, whether they’re getting a checkup or going in for surgery. You will be required to purchase insurance upon entering the country to receive medical attention during your visit.
International Hospitals in Cuba
Even when out of your country, you can still get the medical help you need while you’re in Cuba. First, you’ll need to purchase health insurance, but doing this will be worth it if you happen to experience an illness or injury. If you choose the right health care institution, you could receive high-quality health care to help bring you back to health.
Here is a list of hospitals in Cuba for tourists, whatever your condition or need:
- Clínica Central Cira Garcia Hospital: The United States Embassy recommends this hospital for its citizens as well as citizens of other foreign countries visiting Cuba. This hospital specializes in medical tourism, making it a confident choice for visitors. It also has international accreditation, giving you greater peace of mind if you need to receive its services. If you’re looking for hospitals in Havana, Cuba, this is one of the best available.
- Hospital Camilo Cienfuegos: Hospital Camilo Cienfuegos has international recognition for its services and can provide quality medical care to tourists and international travelers. Its qualified staff can meet various needs, making this health institution a versatile and worthwhile place to visit if you need medical attention in Cuba.
- Clínica Internacional de Santiago de Cuba: This international clinic employs qualified professionals to provide personalized treatments to locals and tourists. These physicians emphasize modern equipment and specialized procedures to give their patients the help they need. To make it even more convenient, this health institution offers its services 24 hours per day, so you can get the help you need at the moment you need it.
REVA’s Services — How We Can Help
Wherever your journey to Cuba takes you, you can count on REVA to provide the services you need to return home or get to a hospital after experiencing an illness or injury. Our international air ambulance services will meet you where you are and provide medical assistance during transport, keeping you safe and healthy on your journey. Our reach extends beyond 70 countries so that we can help traveling patients in Cuba.
It’s easy to receive our services. All you have to do is contact us to request medical air transport and tell us about your situation, and we’ll take it from there. We plan and schedule every aspect of your medical flight, from documentation and crew assembly to acquiring ground transportation when needed. We stay with each of our patients from bedside to bedside to ensure they get home safely after experiencing an illness or injury while abroad.
Our professionals make up the best-trained medical team around so that you can feel confident about your health during any of your international travels.
Choose REVA for Your Medical Air Transport Needs
At REVA, our mission is to give you the safe, compassionate air ambulance services you need, wherever you are in the world. If you need medical air transport services in Cuba, you can call us. Our commitment to safety will give you more peace of mind as you navigate any health concerns that arise overseas.