As one of Turkey’s largest and most prosperous cities, Istanbul sees a lot of activity. This includes plenty of business and pleasure tourism from people all over the world who are paying a visit to this famous city. You may be in Istanbul right now, or you could be planning a trip and are curious about Istanbul’s healthcare situation.
Yet, like every day in any city, the unexpected can happen during your visit. You could experience an unplanned medical event that has you in need of a hospital, so you’ll want to make sure you know where to turn. Learn more about healthcare in Turkey and review a list of hospitals in Istanbul that can give you the help you need.
Why Would You Have to Visit Turkish Hospitals While Visiting?
Many of the same risks you face in your own hometown may be present during your Istanbul trip. The real difference is that you’ll be in an unfamiliar place with unfamiliar doctors and hospitals. This can leave you feeling uncertain, so it’s important to know the various health conditions you could face that would merit a trip to one of the hospitals in Istanbul. Here are some of them:
- Severe health issues: Severe or chronic health conditions will follow you on your trip to Istanbul, so you should prepare for any eventuality. Symptom flare-ups could land you in the hospital. Or, you may need to visit a doctor to get essential medication or checkups. If you deal with a recurring illness, then you may need to visit an American international hospital in Istanbul.
- Common accidents: Some common health issues you could face include automobile accidents and accidental falls. These can happen at any time, especially if you’re navigating unfamiliar terrain or traffic patterns. The most severe outcomes may require professional medical attention.
- Unplanned sicknesses: You may also experience an unexpected illness that can send you to the hospital depending on how it affects your body. Examples include food poisoning and infectious diseases, both of which can have serious symptoms.
- Injuries or illnesses in remote areas: Sustaining an illness or injury in a remote area can be a dangerous situation. You may need medical air transportation to bring you to the nearest hospital and get you the help you need.
- Medical tourism: Medical tourism is when someone seeks medical services outside of their home country. Reasons include more affordable prices or superior quality service.
What Is the Quality of Turkish Healthcare?
The quality of healthcare in Turkey varies widely from city to city. Although the Turkish government has invested a significant amount of money in their healthcare system in recent years, you could still find poor quality healthcare in rural public hospitals compared to the bustling cities.
If you’re seeking an international or American hospital in Istanbul, you should expect to experience high-quality services. Most urban hospitals will have well-trained staff, modern equipment and satisfactory amenities. If you opt for a public hospital, especially in rural areas, you could encounter more low-quality healthcare services where few people speak English.
You should be able to find English-speaking hospitals in Istanbul and other major cities. Do some research on the options available to you and know where to look, and you’ll find the right hospital for your needs.
List of International Hospitals in Turkey – Istanbul
However you sustain your illness or injury, your goal should be to seek medical services from a reputable American international hospital in Turkey or a respectable public hospital. The list below contains some of the best hospitals in Istanbul to help you narrow your search so you can start getting the treatment you need.
You’ll be responsible for any medical bills during your trip. This can add to a large financial burden, even though Turkey’s medical prices are quite low compared to the United States and Britain. Remember to contact your insurance provider to see if your current plan gives you coverage while abroad. You may need to sign up for a new package that can help cover some of your medical costs while in Turkey.
Here are three of the best hospitals in Istanbul for travelers:
- Acibadem International Hospital: The Acibadem International Hospital in Istanbul provides quality medical services to patients from all over the world. It’s a medical tourism destination that offers services in most specialties, including cosmetic surgery, oncology, orthopedics and neurosurgery. International Hospital has 122 beds and offers amenities including internet access, a phone, a pharmacy and an on-site ATM.
- Medistanbul Hospital: Since it has 100 beds and 30 ICU beds, it should be easy to schedule and receive services from Medistanbul Hospital. They provide 24/7 medical services and meet international standards, making it an excellent option for travelers. It offers advanced medical technology for a wide range of services.
- Medipol Mega University Hospital: As one of the largest medical centers in Turkey, Medipol Mega University Hospital attracts significant foreign investment, resulting in top-quality medical gear and services. It has a massive capacity of 470 patient beds, with an emergency department that can handle 134 patients at a time. Medipol Mega University Hospital has garnered a solid reputation both locally and internationally.
REVA’s Services for Medical Air Travel
Whatever happens during your trip to Istanbul, REVA is here to help when you need it most. Our international air ambulance services have helped patients in over 70 countries, including Turkey. Whether you need a medical flight to the hospital of your choice or are looking to get back home, we can make it happen.
Receiving our services is a simple process. All you have to do is contact us to request medical air transport and give us any necessary information about your situation. We handle the rest from there. We’ll gather and submit all the required documentation, assemble flight and medical personnel and even schedule ground transportation when needed. We’re with you every step of your journey, giving you the services you need from bedside to bedside.
Contact REVA to Book Your Air Ambulance
Our goal at REVA is to give you safe, compassionate medical air transportation services, wherever you are in the world. Our expert services ensure you get back home after suffering from an illness or injury in Istanbul or anywhere else in Turkey. We commit ourselves to safety with every patient to provide peace of mind throughout your medical situation.