Retirement is your time to relax and enjoy yourself. Your golden years can be the most exciting part of your life, and choosing the perfect retirement spot can make all the difference. You can turn your tropical holiday dreams into your retirement reality by retiring to the Caribbean. It’s affordable and an idyllic place to live, especially for older adults.
This guide will answer all your questions, from why it’s so affordable to live in the Caribbean to what is the safest Caribbean island to retire to. Find out more about why the Caribbean might be the retirement spot of your dreams.
Why the Caribbean Is the Best Place to Retire
Retiring in the Caribbean is an excellent idea, not just because of the tropical climate. There is a wide range of perks that make retiring there easier, more affordable and more exciting than alternative locations. These are the advantages that you can look forward to if you retire in the Caribbean:
- Cost of living: No matter where you decide to retire, the cost of living is a vital consideration. Caribbean nations — like Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic and Belize — have more affordable living costs than the United States. Other international retirement options offset their lower costs of living with higher taxes. However, some Caribbean nations, such as Antigua and Barbuda, do not tax capital gains, income or estates. This is incredibly beneficial for those on a fixed income.
- Accessibility: Being able to visit family and making it easy for family to visit is a priority for most retirees. Traveling to and from most islands in the Caribbean is convenient because it is such a prominent tourist destination. Finding an island to retire to with an airport is easier than you might think.
- Property and housing: Whether renting or buying property, there are many amazing properties, houses and communities to look at. When choosing your location, you need to keep your price range in mind and the facilities you want access to. Generally speaking, the further away you get from a country’s main islands, the cheaper the property becomes. However, this means you might not have easy access to some important facilities.
- Lifestyle: There’s more to retirement than checking off your bucket list. You need to retire somewhere that you will truly appreciate and can see yourself enjoying. Your lifestyle, social needs and hobbies are important to consider — the best Caribbean island to retire to should match your preferences.
Who Should Retire to the Caribbean?
Is the Caribbean the right place for your retirement? If any of these descriptions match you and what you want out of your golden years, you should consider it strongly:
- Active retirees: The Caribbean has a huge variety of outdoor and recreational activities to take part in. Active retirees can enjoy golf, tennis, swimming, running and more activities in gorgeous weather and stunning environments. Some of the best places to retire to in the Caribbean have access to beaches, nature hikes and more island-specific activities. Keep healthy and stay active with everything the Caribbean has to offer.
- Social couples: Couples who enjoy a thriving social life will find retiring in the Caribbean fulfilling. Local communities are very friendly and welcoming, and retirement communities are plentiful. There will be no shortage of people to mingle with, so you can expect to lead a full social life when retiring in the Caribbean.
- Travelers: If you love traveling, the Caribbean is an optimal retirement destination! Explore the rich history and culture of every island in this tropical paradise. There will always be something new to explore and new adventures to have. From snorkeling and hiking to sightseeing, there is enough to satisfy the most ambitious adventurers.
- Warm climate lovers: The most obvious attraction of the Caribbean is the tropical climate. Warm temperatures and sunshine are bountiful. The Caribbean is ideal if you prefer consistently pleasant weather and a warmer climate. Where is the best place to retire in the Caribbean if you love warm weather? Anywhere, that’s where.
- Easygoing people: The slow-paced, laid-back lifestyle the Caribbean is renowned for makes it ideal for retirees who want relaxed and easygoing living. Get away from city life while having access to all the best facilities. If you value your quiet time or want to relax and enjoy your golden years, then the Caribbean is exactly where you should be.
Where Are the Best Places to Retire in the Caribbean?
The Caribbean is a big place filled with islands to check out to find the retirement destination that best suits you. These are some of the best islands that might appeal to your needs:
- St Lucia: St Lucia is one of the most picturesque Caribbean islands to retire to. From the gorgeous beaches to the striking mountains, this island has so much diversity in terms of visual beauty and activities to partake in. For travelers and nature lovers, this might be the most interesting choice to look into. It also is in close proximity to amenities such as malls.
- Dominica: Dominica is an affordable island to retire to. The cost of living is more affordable when compared to many other Caribbean islands. The relaxed tax laws and property prices make this an approachable retirement destination for people living on a fixed income. The country also provides affordable public and private health care services.
- Antigua and Barbuda: Most Caribbean islands are safe to live on, but Antigua and Barbuda is a good candidate for the safest place to retire in the Caribbean. This island is a popular retirement destination for Canadian, European and American retirees because of its low crime rate. Plus, it can be accessed easily from these locations. The cost of living is a bit higher than other islands, but the quality of living greatly reflects this increase.
- Grenada: Known as the “Spice Isle” of the Caribbean for its multiple nutmeg plantations, Grenada brings a peaceful lifestyle on stunning beaches for retirees. Getting a second passport here is fairly easy, allowing you to take advantage of several economic benefits and investments in the country.
No Matter Where You Retire, REVA Will Keep You Safe
Retirement means enjoying life to the fullest and spending your golden years the way you want to. Most retirees worry about access to the necessary health care services, but this is not an issue with REVA. REVA’s air ambulances and medical escort services can give you access to quality health care wherever you settle down.
REVA’s Tropic Ocean Airways partnership means we can reach patients in even the most remote locations in the Caribbean. You can rely on our award-winning services wherever you decide to retire. To find out more about what we can do, contact us today!